Monday, June 27

Who's not patriotic?

Well, this is interesting. While I'm over here helping the people of Ramadi establish a young democracy and become self governing, the good people back home have decided that I'm not very patriotic. Why not? Because I drive a sport utility vehicle and have therefore prolonged America's dependence on the evil that is imported oil. Oh, please. That's a bunch of crap for several reasons...
  1. My SUV get better gas mileage than some cars do.
  2. If the boneheads in GreenPeace would just shut up, we could develop the oil reserves in Alaska. Maybe my history lessons were skewed because I started school in the 70's, but I was taught that people only criticized our purchase of the territory (from Russia) until oil was discovered.
  3. As I drive around Southern California, I want to be as safe as I can for the sake of my family. If driving a SUV is the only way I can feel confident that my wife will have the power she needs to get out of the way, and the safety features necessary to save them, then call me unpatriotic.

Bottom line, folks, is this... Last time I checked America is a country of freedoms. Freedom of speech allows people to say what they want about my vehicle and also allows me to respond in this format.

9 comments:

DBFrank said...

Sheesh. Why they worrying about crap like that, when the Supreme Court has gone and screwed us with their Eminent Domain stuff? That seems a tad more unpatriotic to me..

Anonymous said...

Checkin in from your wife's blog. Ooh-Rah Marine!
My husband is over there playing in the sand too...
Be safe!

steve said...

I always love people who complain about the very things that give them the RIGHT to complain in the first place...

Joe said...

I don't get these people. In my book, you rank right up there with George Washington, et. al.

(I have this wierd feeling that many of those naysayers who don't seem to appreciate our military wouldn't have like George Washington much either).

Carry on PATRIOT!

Duke_of_Earle said...

Bill,

I hope you caught (or get a chance to hear) what President Bush said last night speaking at Fort Bragg to American servicemen and women.

Let me just reassure you that to MOST of us, you are our heroes! You will probably (I hope) be overwhelmed with messages of support this July 4th weekend, through the web site set up by the DOD and announced by the President. (Also noted on the front page of our local paper here in Victoria, TX.)

As Mr. Bush said in closing, looking directly at the camera and speaking to our military personnel, "God bless each one of you!"

Amen.

John

Colleen said...

Tell the people who bitch and complain to get out of their gas guzzlers and start walking. You are right this is a country of free speach so you go right ahead and say what you will. Stay safe over there.

Karen said...

What a load! People need to quit looking at that type of thing and look to themselves. They've got issues. LOL

Nankin said...

Amen, brother. Without you, those idiots wouldn't be able to complain.

Bill said...

You guys are awesome! Thanks for your support!