Wednesday, June 22

Views on the News

Well, today is one of those days... I don't have any one thing in particular I feel I need to say, so here are some links to various news stories and my humble, working man's opinion on each subject.

Let's start with Dick Durbin's comments about the Gitmo Gulag. Now he says he regrets that his comments may have offended some people. Mr. Senator, aren't you the slightest bit remorseful that your comments were vindictive and only served to further the cause of those who would see America, and all that we stand for, destroyed in a fireball of glory?

Moving on. The Rev. Billy Graham has announced that his current crusade will probably be his last. Although I never attended a crusade personally, my family was heavily involved in his visit to Cincinnati a couple of years ago and the message he preaches has never waivered. I'm sure God is going to tell Mr. Graham, "Well done, good and faithful servant," when it comes time for him to "enter into his master's rest."

This story about a jerk who's being accused of beating his family and pets to death irks me. Why? Because I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that if he is NOT sent to death row for this there will be a bigger outcry from PETA than from any so-called human rights group. Same thing goes for the sicko who appears to be abducting dogs in PB.

We will miss these two men as we work toward the stabilization of this area and the destruction of those who would do us harm. We will miss them and the 11 others who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the service of our country.

Then there's this family from Kansas who came all the way out to CA just to berate a church in La Jolla. My question is why La Jolla? Is it because they thought they'd get more media coverage if they came to San Diego, or is it merely an excuse to visit Southern California and see the big city?

Anyone want to explain to me the difference between a life sentence and a twenty year prison term when the convicted man is 80 years old?

And yet, through it all, the San Diego Padres have managed to not only stay in first place in the NL West, but actually increase their lead over the Dodgers and D'Backs! Will wonders never cease? There are a few out here (Dodgers fans) who firmly believe that the Padres will fade after the All-Star break and end up out of the playoffs, like they did last year, but I have a feeling that this may be the year for San Diego. When they got a taste of the World Series a few years ago, I have a hunch that started a hunger for the team for which there can be only one cure- a championship ring.

Well, these are my thoughts for the day. I look forward to hearing yours.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Steelcowboy sent me over! I'm glad he did.

I think you're right about that jerk, PETA will be more aggressive for the pets than others are for the family. Pretty sad - although I do know pets have rights, but the families need to be stood up for too. Any person who beats anything like that is sick and should be stopped and punished.

Have a great day!

Colleen said...

Thanks for letting me stop by. I have to say what is the point of convicting an 80 year old man for a crime that was committed years ago? I sit and watch the news every morning and I think what the heck. So glad the little boy who wanderd off was found, ALIVE and safe. My heart goes out to the family of Natalie the teen missing in Aruba, what they must be going through.
Thanks again for your wonderful writing. I do plan on stopping back.

Mona said...

Hi Bill, Steel Cowboy sent me. As for the news...sometimes I think I should be keeping up with current events, and then, I actually get a whiff of the news, shake my head, and try to go back to my happy place in my head where everyone is fairly decent to each other. Thanks for giving me a glimpse of reality and a reason to keep trying to be a good person in spite of all the chaos :)

steve said...

I am a CNN junkie and agree with what you have to say... especially with Billy Graham. Makes you always question if each of us is doing what we can to reach others (the answer will always be "no")

Be safe

DBFrank said...

Billy is a shinning example of what we are to be.. thanks for sharing this Bill.

Cylithria Dubois said...

Hey Bill, I just wanted to swing by and let you and your commrade's in arms know I am thinking of you each day!! As far as Durbin.... I can't say what I'd like to say, I don't want to swear and cuss up a storm....but the man seriously needs one person to stand in his face with a picture of all of our men and women in uniform shown to him while he is told... "These are the HERO's who serve to let you be an ass.."


Egads I am furious at that man and sent a hand written letter to him directly. If he were my Senator I'd me launching a MASSIVE "do not re-elect this jerk" campaigne... maybe someone in his home state will do just that!!

Thank you Bill and all of your fellow service members for being a perfect example of what real men (and women) Are!