Friday, June 17

I've got an idea

The last two days have been somewhat hectic out here. As you may have heard, things have not been exactly quiet out here on the Western Front. Fortunately, today saw a return to what passes for normalcy around here, which makes me feel a little guilty for being able to say that we’ve passed the ½ way point for this deployment and can honestly start counting down to going home. Of course, there are those who were only brought out here for a short time and they are already on their way home, but they deserve it. Most of those men were here for the third time. Me? I’m on my second tour to the cradle of civilization and I think I’ve seen just about enough of this place to last me for a pair of lifetimes, thank you very much.

Okay, yes, there is just a little bit of anger seeping into my fingers as I type these words. Is it anger towards the Iraqi people? Not especially. It’s not their fault they won’t stand up and defend their homes against those who would rule over them. Is it anger toward my commander-in-chief? Absolutely not! I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution, bear true faith and allegiance to the same, and obey the President of the US and all officers appointed over me, so help me God. In fact, I’ve sworn that oath several times over the last 14 years. So who’s left for me to be the focus of my ire?

Well, other than the bleeding hearts who say we should leave as soon as possible, my wrath is directed toward those who would snipe at us from buildings and who plant bombs in the road because they lack the ‘nads to face us directly. See, if the bad guys are in such a rush to die in “glorious battle” against the “oppressive evil” and all we want to do is do our duty “to the Flag and the Republic for which it stands” then why don’t they face us straight up? We’ll kill them and everyone wins. They die the way they want to and we go home, the way we want to. What’s wrong with that?

Besides, I'm missing all the fun back home. My wife should learn to never let me leave. I have yet to experience a serious quake and I laugh at her when she says she'd rather go through an earthquake instead of a tornado? Why? At least with tornados, you can sort of prepare for them and you get some warning that they're coming. Earthquakes? By the time you realize what it is, it's over. Where's the fun?

5 comments:

Jen said...

Oh Bill, you do seem to miss all the fun. The torential storm in 95 where the palm frond fell on the power wire and burst into flames, the rattling of the house, the tsunami warning. The mosquitos that have come out of hibernation. The joys of living in paradise. No worries. You'll be home in time for Shake & Bake season. Who knows, maybe we'll be at Glen Ivy when the next one strikes and we can surf the lounging pool. I love you!!!

Duke_of_Earle said...

Good post, Bill. I agree completely (about how the insurgents OUGHT to behave if they believed as they say). Too bad they're controlled by bigger cowards who lust for power, and exercise it by sending these deceived zealots to their deaths trying to kill you. Blow 'em away!

When I didn't see a post for a few days I began to wonder about your safety. But I know you don't have the chance to post something every day. I'm checking daily, though.

John

DBFrank said...

Great stuff, Bill. Can't agree more - if the cowards want to meet their maker, ain't it kinda our duty to help em along their journey?
Be safe brother, ya'll are in our prayers. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Bill! Six degrees! We have a Bill in Irag, too. I found you by way of a link to a link...
Come by and say hello. I'm going to poke around your archives, get to know you and pop you an e-mail. Hang in and thanks for all that you do for us. Our prayers are with you.

Judy said...

Hi Bill - just stopping by to let you know I am thinking of you and your unit. Big prayers for you guys - I know you've been through a lot.