Saturday, June 18

Father's Day

Today is Father's Day. I could almost end this entry with that simple statement. In a society where it seems fashionable to be critical of white Christians, like Howard Dean was a couple of weeks ago, or to poke fun at dads, as evidenced by many of today's commercials and other spots, the fact that today is Father's Day doesn't seem to amount to a hill of beans.

But I know better.

There are those of us among the father population who strive to be more than just the male contributor to the next generation. We try to be dads. Here is a good example of exactly what I'm talking about. I think this blog entry is a good thought on what may have been going on in the mind of God when He created man and told him to be fruitful and multiply.

So, to all the fathers out there who are striving to be dads, and to all the dads out there (like mine) whose children have grown and left the nest, taking a piece of you with them... Happy Father's Day.

To my Dad: Thank you for showing me that no matter what I did in my life, even if was exactly the opposite of what you advised (remember saying "Don't sign anything" when I went to the recruiter's office 14 years ago?) you supported me. Only now that I am a father myself do I truly begin to understand the saying "Any male can be a father, but it takes a man to be a dad."

Thanks, Dad.

7 comments:

Robin said...

Happy Father's Day to you Bill! :)

Duke_of_Earle said...

Bill,
Good post!

My dad's been dead for 30 years, and I sure wish I'd had the opportunity to tell him what a huge positive role model he was for me. I think he knew how I felt, but I wish I'd told him more.

John

Queen on the run said...

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!!!!!!

Karyn Lyndon said...

Nice, heartwarming post!

DBFrank said...

Happy (belated) Father's Day Bill!

Maeve said...

Happy father's day to you, may you come home safe & sound.

steve said...

Bill is my Dad's name who is fighting Cancer right now.

I Really appreciated your post. God is so very good Bill! I am going to add you to my prayers. Come home safe... and THANK YOU for what you do