Friday, June 10

Happy Birthday

To my little one, on her first birthday:

It seems so hard to believe that it's already been a year since your mommy and I welcomed you into our world. We went to the doctor's office for a scheduled visit, since you weren't due for another week, and after our midwife checked, she asked if we were ready to have a baby.

We said, No.

We still had things that needed to be done around the house to prepare for your arrival. We'd moved since your brother was born, so we needed to go around and baby-proof all over again. Then there was the decorating that still needed to be completed. We had bought your crib, but it wasn't assembled yet. Good thing we had borrowed a basinet from our friends for your first few weeks home. Oh, did I mention that Mommy hadn't packed her bag yet?

Still, you would not be deterred, so we went home. Mommy packed her bag while I called Grandma. Somebody would have to look after your big brother for a while. Mommy still didn't really feel any labor pangs, but the doc said your mom was dilating already. We went back to the L&D wing in the hospital, checked in and waited... and waited... and waited. Unlike our experience with your brother, everything went fairly smoothly this time. The doctor with the epidural got it right so Mommy could actually "enjoy" the experience of the birth process. We watched the evening news and even got most of the way through "The Tonight Show" before the active labor began.

Mommy worked just as hard as she did with your brother and before we knew it, there you were... on Mommy's tummy. New to everything, you started crying and even that didn't last very long. I cut your umbilical cord and the doctors were impressed with how healthy you looked. After you and I spent some time in the nursery, I was able to take you back to Mommy, where you and Mommy had a chance to bond and meet each other face to face.

The next day (well, actually, later that day) Grandma brought your brother in to visit you at the hospital and he just fell in love with you right there. He started laughing and waving at you and calling your name like you were the Queen of the Tournament of Roses or something. When we brought you home we suddenly couldn't remember life with just three of us in the house. You brought so much joy to us that there hasn't been a day that goes by when I don't thank God for bringing you to us.

Now I'm over here and not able to say these things to you directly, but know that I love you and want only the best for my little girl. I'll be home soon and you and I have some catching up to do. When I left you only had two teeth, barely, and you weren't even crawling yet. Now you're walking! I love you, Precious, and Daddy will be back as soon as I can.

I will always be,

Your Daddy

PS. I had to go back and change some things after Mommy read my letter and reminded me that I was wrong about some of the details. My brain must be fried from the heat over here.

9 comments:

Dorko said...

Found your post by blog hopping...
'A Father's love' ~ don't mind saying I could feel it, strong and pure, as I read your heartfelt words to your girl. Tears bear a strong testimony of the truthfulness of your love: for your daughter and for the rest of your family ~ just as true! May God Bless you and keep you ~ safe and sound. Amen!

DBFrank said...

Great stuff Bill. Save this one, she'll love reading it on down the road oh, in say 11 years or so. Happy birthday to the wee one, and God bless.

phoenix said...

Happy Birthday to your little girl. Keep safe, and as Steel and the rest have said "God Bless".

Lois Lane said...

What a wonderful post. Happy birthday to your little one! Mike sent me.
Lois Lane

Queen on the run said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY To your little girl!
May the lord keep you safe!
What a beautiful letter to your daughter, I am sure that she will treasure it for years to come. Us ladies are good at the details, don't worry its probably not the heat just being a man will blur your memory;)

Christine said...

That was beautiful! Happy Birthday to your little girl!!

Cylithria Dubois said...

Happy Birthday Little One and this is beautiful Bill!!! Thinking of all of you:)

stewbie2 said...

Happy Birthday to your little one! And to you, thank you.

Monica said...

Bill,
Thank you for your service and Happy Birthday to your precious little one.
I saved all my letters from my son while he was in Iraq. He went over as a 19 y/o and was there over a year.
When he marries someday, I hope to have the privilege of meeting his children. When they ask about their daddy, I can show them the letters of a young man who, even in a war zone in Baghdad, asked of his family's needs and comfort.
These posts should all be saved in print for your children as well.
Godspeed home.