Thursday, January 5

Hook 'em!

I still don't like the BCS thing. I think some computer telling me who the best football team is just isn't the same. For one thing, computers can't watch the game and see just who is the better team. You gotta admit there are games when the score doesn't accurately reflect just how close (or how big a blowout) a game is. Okay, having said that... man, this year was a good one for bowl games, wasn't it? We had Navy and Colorado St play here in San Diego in the inaugural Poinsettia Bowl, then Oklahoma and Oregon put on a good show in the Holiday Bowl to give the Sooner fans something positive to take their minds off of the wildfires back home. Then there was the battle of the coaching legends, with the Nittany Lions taking it to Florida State in a thrilling Orange Bowl. Of course, I thoroughly enjoyed the Fiesta Bowl again this year but since I already wrote about that one, I'll just say "Go Buckeyes!" And that all led up to the Longhorns from Texas coming to Southern California to play against the Trojans from the University of Southern California in the Grandaddy of Them All, the Rose Bowl. I expected the cowd to be more pro-USC since the game was literally in their back yard, but then I remembered taht the bowl committees usually divide the available tickets evenly for each school. Having said that, I think the Texas fans were louder. Oh, before I get comments about it... yes, I did see the play when Vince Young's knee was clearly on the ground when he lateralled the ball for a touchdown. Was it a bad call? Yes. Did it affect the outcome of the game? I don't think so. He already had the first down and I believe they would've scored within the next play or two anyway. Still, I'm sure there's going to be some serious "sour grapes" for the Trojan fans and who knows, maybe they'll get a chip on their shoulder and be even tougher in 2006. Oh, one more thing. Seeing the Marines out there in their dessert cammies (weather related) reminded me how glad I am sometimes that I'm not in the band anymore.

3 comments:

Fred said...

The Orange and Rose Bowls were great. Living in Florida, I was of course rooting for FSU. Unfortunately, I fell asleep and had to watch the highlights the next day.

Look for USF to win next year in a minor bowl.

EV said...

The Rose Bowl was one of the most incrediible games I've ever seen. There were some calls that left something to be desired. There are in every game - and there were plenty to go around. Sadly, there are always the whiners, too - and Monday morning quarterbacks.

I still think it was the shoot predicted. Two great teams.

Mike's America said...

Bill: I drove all the way out to the Rose Bowl from Ohio way back when with a couple of AC DC fans who only owned one 8 track that played continuously.

That was bad enough, but Ohio State lost too.

Off Topic: Thanks for dropping in and offering your counterpoint to "Jen." She's one of those who is convinced she is smarter than everyone else. It's very aggravating.

I always appreciate when folks like you drop in out of cyberspace to counter their spin.