Tuesday, July 12

Some understanding please

I was reading this story about an Iraqi couple who do not share the same muslim belief system, but are trying to live peacefully for the sake of their son and I thought to myself, "These folks are finally getting a taste of what it means to live in freedom." They must learn to live with and respect each other's differences to have peace in their home. If they can do that on an individual level, why can't that spread to those around them and so on, until the populace of Iraq is actually behaving as a civilized people? Well, maybe that's over simplifying the situation. Still, it's something to think about.

I was also reading this story and commentary, since it mentioned two of our Marines, and I thought, "Now, this guy just doesn't get it." First of all, to use the deaths of two Marines as bookends to an editorial about taxes is just in poor taste. Second...

Let me break down the math for you and see if it makes any more sense to you than it did to me. His claim that 97% of the tax breaks being mentioned would go to only 3% of people who pay taxes. He has a problem with that. I don't. Why not? Last year, we filed our claim and learned that not only were we getting a refund, we were getting more money than what we had deducted from our pay for taxes, thanks to credits for my dependents, Jen's home based business expenses, and other miscellaneous items. So I ask you, how can I be "owed" a break as a working class citizen when I actually make money because of our current tax code? You know what? I don't own a small business with a labor force. I don't make a product that benefits society. I don't even have any employees. Well, we did hire a gardner to help care for the yard while I'm away, but that's not the point. The point is, giving me more money is not going to create any new jobs. Letting the business owner down the street keep more of his hard-earned money so he can hire more people, or make more products, or whatever, actually makes sense. Maybe that's why it's not a popular idea. I learned a long time ago that "pro" and "con" are the opposites of each other. Does that apply to "progress" and "congress"?

7 comments:

DBFrank said...

"progress" and "congress"
Oh, that was a good one! ;)
Hope all is well over there my friend. Be safe, be careful.. and thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill! Found you through Mike...great post and I really can't add anything to it...dang you for making too much sense :)

BTW we're a military family stationed at Ramstein AB, Germany..we got you and everyone over there in our hearts...

Mona said...

I found you through Mike, too. I won't even begin to try to figure out the logic in our economic system.

However, I agree with you on the small scale of one couple respecting each other's differences and how to expand that to the large scale. That's my take on it and I'll continue with that as the way to do it.

Great site, Bill. Best wishes to you.

Unknown said...

I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for serving our country.

Duke_of_Earle said...

Bill,

"It's hard to be humble when you're great." That's a lot easier to say with a straight face when you're a Marine, and everybody KNOWS you're the best in the world!

A very sincere "Thanks."

Karen said...

Very well said. Especially the last line. Amen.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

I can't believe that I am only 73% American, that thing is a load of hooey.

Amen to your post as well. I think I'll visit your post frequently.