Monday, July 4

Independence Day

In every life there comes a time of decision. At some point, we all must decide what is important enough to us to fight to defend. I made my decision a long time ago. Ever since I can remember, I've wanted to be in the military. I had one of the original (12 inches tall) GI Joe action figures (not a "doll") and when Hasbro started producing the 4 inch tall version to compliment/compete with the Star Wars figures, which I also had, I had a vast collection of good guys and terrorists. I never would've guessed back then that I'd some day be fighting a slightly different version of the Cobra orginization. A world-wide terrorist group determined to rule the world? Granted, the mad-men we fight today aren't as well equipped and don't have a battlefield commander like Cobra Commander, but they're just as evil and even elusive. Nevertheless, we will win. Why do I say that? How can I be so sure?

Because today is Independence Day and we are Americans.

Our country was born from the creed that "all men are created equal and are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights." Add that to the fact that as the world's only real superpower it is our responsibility to watch out for the little guy, to make sure that those who are unable to defend themselves are protected from the playground bullies of the world. Is there a cost? Unfortunately, yes. We have paid for the freedom of others and we will continue to do so. We have paid for the freedom to say what we want by spilling our own blood. We have paid for our right to bear arms by taking up arms in the defense of the ideal. We have upheld our freedom of religion by the Grace of the One who has freed us by the shedding of His own blood on a cross over 2000 years ago.

There comes a time in every life when one must decide what is worth fighting for, because if you are not willing to stand for something you are vulnerable to falling for anything. As cliche' as it may sound, I have chosen to live for Jesus, who made me in His own image, and saved me through no action of my own, and I have chosen to fight for the principles that make America... well, America: "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Along my journey I have been joined by a wonderful woman and I have been blessed with riches beyond measure.

Is it worth living for? You bet. Is it worth fighting for? Absolutely. Is it worth dying for? If that is the sacrifice required of me to ensure that my children can enjoy the same freedom I have known... yes.

Happy 4th of July, everyone.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Independence Day Marine! I didn't see a place for trackbacks - so I wanted to let you know I quoted your post on my blog. Stay Safe!

DBFrank said...

That was beautiful Bill. God bless you, be safe, and come on back to your family. Thank you.. just thank you. :)

Robin said...

That is an absolutely wonderful post. Happy 4th Bill! Long may she wave!

Chad said...

Hey, Bill. Thanks for stopping by my site. More importantly, thank you for your service to our country.

I am forever in your debt, as are we all.

Judy said...

happy 4th, Bill! Thinking of you and your fellow Marines!

steve said...

THANK YOU FOR BEING OUR "KUNG FU GRIP"!!!!!

You guys rock!!!

Duke_of_Earle said...

Bill, If you get a chance, check this post by a friend.


John

Leann said...

I enjoyed reading that post.

Thank you for all you sacrifice and provide.

Lia said...

I always feel kind of guilty for supporting the war, since I'm not actually over there fighting it. So it's really nice to hear from someone who IS there that you support it too.

Thanks for your important work - you're doing something that really needs doing!

Live, Love, Laugh said...

Wow, that brought me to tears. It is definately what we all need to hear, you and your family will be in our prayers, stay strong, stay safe and most of all, stay close to Jesus!