Wednesday, October 5

How ya' been?

Okay, so I didn't post last week because my parents were in town to verify that I had safely made it home from the desert and was not just pulling their leg when I called to say "I'm home!" a couple weeks ago. So, what's been going on in my little world? Good question and I'm glad you asked. (:D

Let's start with me personally... I'm either certifiably crazy, or I think I'm over my fear of the public (or I'm in denial) because last night I auditioned for the vocal team at my church which will put me in front of hundreds of people twice a month for Sunday services. I also signed up for the band and even told the drama director that I was available if needed. Sheesh!

Hey, how 'bout them Padres? With a record of only 82 wins, which would have put them in at least third in any other division in baseball this year, the San Diego baseball club clinched the NL "Worst" last week and promptly lost game 1 of the NLDS to the St Louis Cardinals. My prediction? The "Friars" will win tonight's game in honor of Jake Peavy, whose busted ribs were unknown to anyone (?) until after the game and then they'll lose the next two and be out of the playoffs before they really get started. Let's face it folks, until San Diego is willing (or able) to spend the kind of money the Yankees and the Sox spend, they ain't goin' anywhere.

Besides, now that it's October, I'm more interested in the weekend action. Fortunately, the Buckeyes didn't lose on Saturday (didn't play) so that's a good thing. The Eagles had to mount a dramatic comeback in Arrowhead which is not an easy thing to do. Oh, and surprise, surprise... The Chargers beat the two-time champs... in Foxboro. Does that mean they coulda won the Superbowl last year or could win it this year? Not necessarily. It just proves that you have to play the game and can't rely on how the teams look on paper. Don't believe me? Ask the four teams who have played the Bengals so far this year!

Finally, I've received a few questions about my hobby, model railroading. I find it to be a peaceful distraction from the hustle and bustle of every day life. Unfortunately, I can only work on my layout ("train set" for those of you who aren't modelers) in my mind or on paper. I don't have an actual layout for two very good reasons. One, being in the military means I move a lot and I don't really have the time to devote to actually building anything right now. Two, I have a tendency to put off doing something until I'm sure it's going to be my absolute best effort. To that end, I've mentally built and rebuilt my layout several times. I'm hoping to actually start building after we finally buy a home and I know I won't be moving again, but that's probably not for a couple more years. In the mean time, I have my vivid imagination and (thanks to my sister) I have a subscription to Model RailRoader magazine to help me learn.

So, there it is. The whole battalion is home now and we're getting ready to start our much deserved post-deployment leave block next week. Hopefully by then I'll be able to figure out time to make more timely entries on my blog. Have a great week and let me know what's up.

4 comments:

DBFrank said...

Glad all is well Bill.

Andrea said...

Hey Bill. Glad to hear you're doing well and working your way back into home life. I'm sure it can be quite a challenge at times. Sounds like you're keeping yourself busy. We're all well on this side of the Pacific. Send our love to the family! Take care!
-Andrea

Unknown said...

Bill: I just liquidated my limited railroading stuff to focus soley on my hobby of travel agency desktop models of commercial aircraft from Pan Am/TWA/Eastern and US Airways. Just passing through. Great site. Stop by for a visit anytime!

Duke_of_Earle said...

Glad you're in full R&R mode and re-assimilated. No more panic attacks! Lots of people just don't understand what folks returning from combat have to go through. It's fun to start getting caught back up in sports and home activities, isn't it?