Monday, October 24

ahem?!

To all those out there (mostly liberals) who said that the Iraqis would never be able to handle democracy and that we were wasting our time and the lives of brave Americans in a pointless war, I have a question for you.

"Why was the nation wide voter turnout higher in Iraq than it was for some of the most contested elections held recently in this country?"

Is it tragic that we've lost nearly 2,000 brave men and women for this cause? Of course. It's especially painful for my battalion, who couldn't bring home 16 of our men and that's not counting the 130 or so who earned the purple heart this past year. Was it worth it? To a man, I would bet that every Marine in my battalion, and even most of the ones who have recently gotten out of the Corps after THREE tours to some of the heaviest fighting in this conflict, would say that yes, it is worth the risk and danger to help people realize the rights which they were "endowed with by their Creator, and that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." I read that somewhere once.

Oh, one last thing... as their career counselor, I always ask a young Marine why he joined the Marines in the first place because it helps me figure out how I can help him. Ya' know, oddly enough, I have yet to hear someone tell me that they joined because they had to. No one forced these guys to sign up. Some of them even say they enlisted because they knew the path they were on in high school was a path to destruction and they wanted to do something more with their lives. Well, to that end I can not help but recall one of our favorite quotes of one of my favorite presidents. Ronald Reagan once said that, "Some people go their entire lives wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

7 comments:

Andrea said...

Well said. Ooh Rah!

DBFrank said...

Great quote. Great.
Rock on my friend, this old boy salutes and honors you and all.

Katie said...

That is a great quote. The loss of US lives saddens me though. A neighbor down the road keeps track with Christmas lights shaped in the numbers, it was 1997 when I drove by last night. I'm not sure if the person is protesting or honoring (there's a US flag hanging on the fence as well). I pray a lot whenever the number goes up.

Maggie Goff said...

Thank you, Bill, and your family, for serving our country. I am so very grateful.

Anonymous said...

What about the terror attack on the Marines in Beruit, How can we forget?

I missed your ass. I'm in Iraq right now. Thought I get back in touch with you in 03 by way of syria so give me your address in the Bekka Valley so I can say Hello! How'a ya family? Pay back is a bitch after it's been years

EV said...

Standing applause!! That was great, Bill.

Duke_of_Earle said...

The Great Communicator, they called him. A lot of folks ridiculed and villified Ronnie, but I loved him too.

Great post, Bill.

John