Wednesday, September 28

Where does the time go?

Wow! I didn't realize that it's been over a week since my last post. First of all, I'd like to thank all of you who posted your concern to my panic attack episode that first weekend home. Fortunately, my wife was very understanding and she didn't ask me to do any more shopping for the rest of the weekend. Of course, Monday morning was a different story...

"If we go somewhere you're a little more familiar with and we go when most people will be a work, there shouldn't be too much to freak you out, and if there is, we'll leave right away... but you do need new shoes."

Okay, fine. We'll go shopping. At least the boy was in "school" for the morning, so we were able to shop in relative quiet. Although we started out looking for a new pair of nice dress shoes, I couldn't find any I liked, but since my current running shoes were starting to show some serious signs of wear and tear, I bought a new pair. I almost always get Nike shoes, but I usually at least look at other brands. Anyway, since I knew that these would be the shoes I run in over the winter (in the rain perhaps) and since the Corps issued me a pair of NB shoes in boot camp for PT, I figured I could do worse than these. Besides, when you don't care what color you're wearing and are willing to get (*gasp*) last year's model, you can save several dollars for more important things like the upcoming birthday ball in Las Vegas. Yeah, baby!

So, this morning, we had a couple hundred more Marines and sailors get home. There's more due in later today and the rest should get in over the weekend. After that, well, there's leave (aka... vacation) and then we start getting ready for our next deployment. Sound like fun? It's not, but as I remind myself everytime I feel like complaining: A) somebody has to do it, if not me then who? B) I freely enlisted and reenlisted several times to get to this point in my career, and C) after all, it's a living... sorta. :-)

3 comments:

DBFrank said...

The gent of whom I wrote this morning was a vet, and was afforded a military funeral, complete with honor guard.
I cannot describe the feeling I get when "Taps" is played, even though I have never heard a shot fired in anger.

Bill, we can't say it enough; thank you, to you and all who serve, so that we may sleep safely in our beds this night.
God bless you and your family.

Lia said...

the shoes are nice - enjoy them. hope your leave is fun and relaxing!

Katie said...

Glad to hear you are doing better with crowds. I love Nike running shoes, I'm due for a new pair (course that means I should probably run in them and not just after kids).