Tuesday, November 8

Time keeps on slippin

My goodness, I didn't realize it's been almost two weeks since my last post. What happened there? Oh, I remember...

I finally started to sleep past 5:30, which is good since I'm supposedly on vacation. Then there was Halloween. We went to the boy's school because they were having a harvest festival. In the spirit of the "holiday" I dressed up in Arabic dress. You should have seen the looks I got from some of the other Marines who were at the festival. I think that if I wear the same outfit next year, I'll take the time and effort to make a bullet hole in my forehead or something and pass myself off as a "good" terrorist. After about 20 minutes in the crowd at the festival all four of us were ready to go, so I took my son around our block so he could do a little trick-or-treat-ing to fill up his pumpkin head. He had fun and we were out all evening, so I didn't have to pass out candy to teenagers who didn't even bother to put on a costume. (Don't you hate that?)

My folks came in from Cincinnati on Saturday evening to see us and to help with babysitting while we figure out the logistics of me going back to work. They've also agreed to watch the kids while Jen and I go to Las Vegas next weekend for my unit's Marine Corps ball. That should be a blast. My sister pulled a fast one and came out as well. What a stinker. She'd told me that she was house/dog sitting for Mom and Dad while they were out here. Oh well, the boy was tickled to see his aunt and he's been showing off for them all the stuff he's learned in the last six months.

Speaking of education, we've been getting him tested by the school district for a possible learning disability or a language skill assessment. Turns out, he's actually advanced for his age. While that's extremely cool, now we have to be careful to not set our expectations too high for him or his sister.

I started back to work yesterday. Talk about a bummer... but, it's a living, right? I'm grateful to have had the last three weeks to rejoin my family. I still have some issues to get through, but being a part of my children's lives is not one of them, thank God.

Now, if the Buckeyes can continue their success, maybe Penn State will trip up and OSU can claim the Big 10 title. I've pretty much given up on the BCS for this year. Texas and USC are just that good again. I think Andy Reid made the right decision in suspending T.O. for the rest of the season and McNabb hit the nail on the head when he said it'll help make the team more of a team instead of individuals looking out just for themselves. It's a shame, too. T.O. is a great receiver and a big play maker, but he needs to learn that without those 10 other guys on the field, he's really nobody.

I'm sorry it's been so long since my last update. Now that I am back at work and into a schedule again, my posts should be a little more consistant. Peace to you and yours and have a great week.

4 comments:

Chad said...

I was wondering where you had gone, but family is family and always more important than us cyber-hangers-on.

You're right about T.O. I'll take ten mediocre guys who know they have a role on the team than one super-duper-star who thinks he is the team.

DBFrank said...

Great to hear from you Sir. Sounds like you enjoyed your vacation.

EV said...

Glad to see you back. I lol at the forhead bullet! ;-)

Duke_of_Earle said...

"The only 'good' terrorist is..."

I love it!

John