Wednesday, November 23

let's see...

Well, it's been a week since I last posted so there must be something worth talking about, right? Of course there is. Here are some seemingly random thoughts, but they're actually not. They're just in random order.

First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my kid sister. I had to shout because she just turned the big 3-0 over the weekend. I'd link you to her blog, but with her job at a bank, working with the children's choir at church, and being a consultant for Stampin' Up, she just doesn't have the time to maitain a simple little blog. (Whatever... sheesh!) Anyway, happy birthday, Sis.

Next, I already told you about the great time we had in Las Vegas. We got back to work this week and learned that we have an inspection team from Division HQ coming to visit us starting next Monday! What?! Doesn't anyone remember Murphy's laws of combat? "No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection." See, this inspection is to make sure all our i's are crossed and t's are dotted (or something like that) and when you spend seven months in a place where people are either trying to shoot you or blow you up just about every day, those little details tend to get pushed aside for the bigger goal of going home alive and making sure the bad guys get a chance to explain themselves to "Allah". In other words, I don't expect us to do too well on this inspection. Don't get me wrong, we'll put forth a great effort, but we just haven't had the time to get all the spit and polish done that you'd expect from a Marine unit. Heck, we still don't even have a working fax machine in our admin office! Oh well.

On to sports... With Donovan out for surgery and T.O. already gone, not to mention a 4-6 record, I'm not really holding my breath for a post-season run by my beloved Eagles. Having said that, there are a couple of other teams that I enjoy watching who are doing well. My hometown Bengals are playing very well right now in the AFC North. Despite losing the game to the Colts on Sunday, they managed to put up a lot of points and keep the game interesting. Out here on the West Coast, my adopted hometown heros are also playing very good football right now. The Chargers have a record that belies their efforts. Had a few plays gone the other way, they could easily be 8-2 or even 9-1 right now. Regardless, it's exciting to see these teams playing hard this late in the season. Usually, the Bengals would've given up by now and Qualcomm stadium would be full of fans for the visiting team here in San Diego, but that hasn't happened.

Anyway, that's about it for now. I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving. Oh, one more thought... I heard a couple of interesting questions on talk radio yesterday posed to all who believe there is no god and no reason to endorse religion: Why aren't you working on Thursday? (I'm celebrating Thanksgiving) Who are you giving thanks to, if you don't believe in God? (silence) I'll post this weekend about what I'm thankful for. In the meantime, get your list ready, 'cause I'm gonna ask.

Oh my gosh, I can't believe I almost forgot... OHIO STATE BEAT MICHIGAN! I almost had to turn in my jersey (and my hat and my t-shirts and my big slippers).

No comments: