Sunday, November 27

mmph, mmph...

Thanksgiving was wonderful. We went up to my mother-in-law's friends' place and they had been cooking a turkey on a charcoal fire for a couple of hours. Mmmm, that smoked flavor was just to die for. Add that to the fact that I didn't have to cook and only helped (barely) with the dishes... good day. Ok, since it's not polite to talk with your mouth full, (and since I haven't needed to actually eat in, what, four days?) I figured I'd come back with that question I warned you about last time I checked in.

What are you thankful for this holiday season?

I'll go first. At church this morning our music pastor offered a communion meditation that really made me think. He asked us to write down what we were thankful for and I came up with the standard answers... you know, the "church answers" such as, "I'm thankful for my wife and kids. And my house. And the fact that I have two cars that run..." then it got real.
I'm thankful that my son responded to the treatment he got at the hospital when we had to take him in on Friday because he couldn't breathe very well. I think I now have an inkling of what my folks went through the two times they had to take me to the hospital when I was a teenager. His chest x-ray was "inconclusive" and showed that he either has pneumonia (not good, but temporary) or he's showing the beginning signs of developing asthma (very not good). If you ask me, neither option is something a parent would wish on their child, especially a very active boy like the one I've been blessed with.
I'm thankful that I live in a beautiful part of the country with a beautiful woman who loves me and two kids who think I know everything and am always in control. Of course, by the time they're teens, I won't know anything and will always be out of touch, but right now it's very empowering.
I'm thankful for my job which helps keep this country the Land of the Free by retaining the best of those who have joined our ranks. No matter what some media outlets would have you believe, America is still the Home of the Brave.
Most of all, I'm thankful that the God I serve is a Giver of Second Chances. How many of us have damaged or destroyed a relationship or three by one act of thoughtlessness? I know I have, and that doesn't include the times when I've disappointed my Heavenly Father. I'm very grateful that "if we confess our sins, He is faithful to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
I'm thankful that I'm home for this holiday season, especially since it looks as though I'll be overseas for next year's holidays. Bummer.
Along that line of thought, I'm thankful that I don't have to worry about tomorrow if I can just really release my burdens and lay them at the feet of Jesus.
Anyway, as the music played, a dam was broken in my soul and emotion poured from my spirit like a tidal wave washing away all the broken pieces of my life and I cried. Not just one little tear, mind you. Oh no. This was shoulders heaving, water flowing, can't catch my breath crying. I haven't done that since... well, I can't remember when I last cried like that. When I got home, I described it to my wife that I felt like I'd taken a spiritual shower, I felt that good. I'm thakful to God for truly providing a peace that transends all understanding during this, the busiest and most stress-filled month I believe I have ever faced.

Hopefully, your Thanksgiving went well and your Christmas season is off to a good start. Only *gasp* 28 more days until Christmas?! Gotta go! Gotta shop! Well, maybe I'll get to it later. After all, I still have almost a whole month! Why rush into these things? Have a great week everyone.

2 comments:

DBFrank said...

Aye, we are all blessed by the Lord; some with plenty, some with less, but all with the Grace of God...

EV said...

Some good lessons, thanx , Bill!