Monday, November 13

weekend in review

I just wanted to touch on a couple of different issues here before I forget.

Since I've already done my ranting and raving about the election process, let me address an issue my wife raised in an email earlier today. She asked if the shift in the balance of power would have any impact on my deployment schedule. Unfortunately, I doubt it. Yes, the Democrats made huge gains in their numbers in both houses of Congress. Conversely, of course, the Republicans lost a large number of representatives and senators. However, the President of the United States is still the Commander-in-Chief. As such, it is entirely within his authority and responsibility to defend America's interests as he sees fit. I will try to keep an eye on the nomination process for Mr. Bob Gates to replace Mr. Donald Rumsfeld as the Secretary of Defense and we the people should be able to judge how much the Democrats want to cooperate by this very important confirmation process. We are fighting a war on two different fronts right now and the President needs a Secretary of Defense to help him develop and implement policy.

I must admit that when I saw that the Chargers were scheduled to play in Cincinnati, I was not sure who I wanted to win that game. The Chargers still have a good shot at the playoffs I think, and the Bengals could regain some much needed momentum with a win at home. True to the billing, the game turned into a shoot-out and the Bengals were able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory yet again. I hate to say it that way, but if you score 21 unanswered points in the first quarter and go into half-time up 28-7, then you should be able to win the game. That's not to take anything away from the Chargers, but come on. Of course, neither team appears in my sports link list to the right, so I guess it's not that big a deal. It looks like I missed an exciting game, though. That brings me to the game scheduled for this Saturday.

Once again, the nation's focus will be on Columbus OH as the number 1 ranked Buckeyes host their arch-rivals, and the team ranked number 2 in the national standings, the Wolverines from the University of Michigan. I honestly believe that this is in all reality the national championship game. The winner this weekend will be the only undefeated team in the country except possibly Rutgers (wait... Rutgers?!) (yep) and will claim the Big-10 title in the process. Unfortunately, the losing team will probably drop to at least number 3 in the polls, depending on how USC does, and will have to settle for a lesser bowl game in January. Go Buckeyes!

I've already mentioned that I've started a new blog. However, since creating it I've changed the name a couple of times. Check it out and tell me what you think. You may have noticed that I've also tweaked the layout of this blog a bit. I thought I should move some stuff around, and I wanted to add the countdown to the top. Please let me know what you think of these changes.

I've already posted two surveys this week (citizenship and logic) so I won't post another one just now. I am going to try to get into a regular routine about when I update each blog, but until I get that figured out, you'll just have to come back every now and again and see what's up. Have a great week, friends, and thank you for your continued support.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can tell you where we'll be spending my birthday - eating chicken wings and watching that game at BW3's. Go Buckeyes!