Saturday, November 4

Open Water

Well, we're back on the open water, or "Blue Water" as the Navy refers to the open ocean. I thought all water was blue, but I'm just a Jarhead, so what do I know? We completed the exercises that we'd gone to the Philippines for and spent a couple of days in Subic Bay for liberty. Other than buying souvenirs for the family, I think I spent a total of maybe $10 on myself. That money got me lots of good food, including what may very well be the absolute best hot wings I've ever had, and even a nice tight haircut complete with straight razor around the hairline. There were plenty of opportunities for me to get into trouble, but I was able to resist the worst parts of town for the most part. Don't forget that I am 48% evil after all. (LOL) That reminds me... how was your Halloween? Mine was the same as the 30th, and the 1st, but at least I didn't get a rock for trying to go "trick or treat"-ing like poor old Charlie Brown.

And now we're on the down hill side of this deployment. I am so ready to get home to my family that it makes me sick. Wait, maybe that's the water from Subic Bay... Still, I'm glad to be closing in on another homecoming. I hope it's my last one for a while. I know there are Marines who love this sort of thing, but I don't happen to be one of them. Don't get me wrong. I know I have a job to do and I gladly do my duty, but my family life is too important to sacrifice them on the altar of the EGA gun club. (That would be the Corps, if you weren't paying attention.) My wife is raising our children by herself right now and that's not right for any of us. My kids need their Daddy, my wife needs her husband, and I need them. Besides, whether I finish out my 20 years and retire, or get out at the end of this contract, the Corps will still be there. The National Marine museum that's about to open in DC is a monument to that fact.

Speaking of Washington… don’t forget that it's almost election time back in the States. Whatever your political affiliation may be, I would like to urge you in the strongest terms possible to get out and vote on Tuesday. Voting is a right that is purchased every time a soldier lays his life on the line to protect that right. The sailor who sails into harm's way to ensure that others don't have to worry about roadside bombs on I-5, I-40, or I-95 has given of his soul to protect your right to vote. The pilot who flies the unfriendly skies over remote corners of the world and gazes down on people who risk a form of martyrdom to stand in line to cast their ballots has sworn to defend their right to do so. The Marine who fights for right and freedom and strives to keep his honor clean while conducting some very dirty business against some very evil people has bled and many of us have died to deliver the God-given right to vote to a population hungry to breathe free air. Please do not sit on your couch on Tuesday and complain that you don't understand how to use the computer voting system. Please do not say that you don't really care who's in office so you're not going to bother with voting this year. You have the right to vote and by not voting, you are forfeiting your right to complain. There, I said it. Take note, Cindy (Sheehan). I may not like your opinion (although for those of you who read this, I tend to agree with you) but I will defend to the death your right to have and voice that opinion. God bless America! By the way, I passed the American Citizenship test. How did you do?

You Passed the US Citizenship Test

Congratulations - you got 9 out of 10 correct!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Let me know when you get in. How's the weather where you are? It's getting cooler here! See ya soon!