Wednesday, July 19

What a long strange trip it's been (so far)

Okay, let me start by saying oheyo gezeimeas ("ohio gu-ZI-muss") which means "Hola!" in Japanese. I've been away from my family for not quite a week and it feels like it's been forEVER! There have been many frustrations as I've tried to establish my office over here. First, I had to fight and finally scrounge for a space to call my own. Then I had to turn in my computer for re-imaging... good thing I backed up all my data and most of the music I'd stored on the hard drive first. Now, I'm supposed to be going to a rifle and pistol range next week (in violation of the base directive that new arrivals are supposed to acclimatize for a minimum of 21 days before conducting any training) and I just learned at dinner that the range may not happen. Apparently, it was never locked in stone that we even had the quotas. Talk about beating your head against a wall.

Anyway, long story short... my barracks is directly across the street from the lesser used chow hall and that is right next to the library, and their computer lab. Also, I'm only about 2 blocks away from the USO here, so I can see free movies without too much effort. Having said all that, I find myself torn. On the one hand, I miss my family something fierce but on the other I can't deny that I'm basically single right now and I don't even have to worry about keeping up appearances in the hopes of attracting the right girl. She's stuck back in California with two rambunctious little ones and a count-down calender that seems to be moving in the wrong way at the moment.

To keep myself occupied, I checked out Book V of Stephen King's series, "The Dark Tower." I'm also making time each day to catch up on my Bible reading and I'm even scribbling ideas for this railroad I'm going to construct SOMEday.

To Jen: Princess, I love you and I'm very glad that at least we can exchange email on a regular basis.

To Andrea: I haven't called you guys yet because A) my office phone hasn't been connected yet and B) I'm restricted to this base until the CO believes he can trust us to act like men and not like animals. As soon as I can, I'll give y'all a holler and we can get together.

To everyone else: Thank you for your thoughts and prayers and keep 'em coming.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there buddy. We'll be thinkin' about you. Just ignore the Habu snakes. ;~)

Raggedy said...

Thanks for the update. OMG at the spiders and snakes. I googled them up and erm, they are quite nasty. The banana spiders in Florida are not poisonous; the Asian banana spider is very poisonous. You be careful over there. I saw at least a dozen different poisonous snakes in your area on the net. Hang in there Hun. I know how much you are missing your family. Time has a way of standing still when you are away from you loved ones. Keep your chin up and come back safe.
God Bless...
Keep your eyes wide open for the obnoxious wildlife in your area. You may need to save your ammo to shoot the snakes and spiders…
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) meow hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one

Fred said...

Thanks for checking in, Bill. Or is it The Jammer now?

Andrea said...

Hey Bill. No worries! I'll email you so we can get together!!

Bill said...

Mike: snakes that are supposed to be 6 feet long are easier to avoid than ignore! :-)

Raggedy: I'm well aware of these banana spiders. Almost walked right into one last itme I was here!

Fred: I've changed it to Jammer 'cuz that's what everyone at work calls me. Might as well roll with it.

Andrea: As soon as I get the phone in my office turned on we should be able to make plans.

Thanks for commenting, everybody!

Jumpin' On My Last Nerve said...

So glad you are able to stay in contact with all of us and especially your wife. And you have stumped me with the Monty Python question - ha!

Judy said...

Hey, Bill! Just popping over from Jen's site to say whatever-that-was at the top of this post - I can get 'hola', but don't ask for anything else, okay?

Be safe!