Saturday, December 10

Week in review

I was hoping to be able to come home a little early yesterday to get my weekend started just a bit sooner. Of course, that cursed me to still being there after 5 wondering when I'd get to go home. See, in my job I deal a lot with the retention branch at Headquarters Marine Corps. They're in Quantico, VA and they haven't been to work much this week. Something about some cold, white, slippery substance that makes driving dangerous and since we live in an age where a bunch of the work I do is over the internet... well, let's just say that it's good to live in SoCal.

Anyway, I did manage to get three more Marines reenlisted for another four years. Two of these guys rate bonuses for their willingness to stay in the Corps. While that's good news for them (I should work on commission) it's more papers that need to be signed by THE MAN and then submitted to the correct offices around base so these guys can get paid. That office is literally on the other side of the base, but since that puts me much closer to my house I don't complain too much. Of course when the Boss has to prioritize between conducting a court-martial or signing some paperwork, he takes the fun out of my job by opting for the legal proceedings. Oh well, maybe next week. As long as I can get these guys their bonuses BEFORE Christmas everything should be okay.

I'm sure the CO would rather be signing positive paperwork, but when you've got guys who are doing drugs, drinking and driving, and other crazy stuff, you gotta take action. Personally, I think these guys are just trying to cope with things they've done and seen over the last couple of years. I do it. I self-medicate with alcohol and video games. Not as much now, but I know exactly what they're doing. The big difference is that my choices are legal and relatively safe. I don't drink and drive and even though some of the later versions look to be getting more violent, I don't think there's much harm in playing John Madden 2003 football on my PC while everyone's still asleep upstairs.

So, as you can see, this has been a pretty slow week around here. I'll take it. I got my January issue of Model Railroader earlier this week. Thanks, Sis, for renewing my subscription. I devoured it in just a couple of days. I love the January issue because they index all the articles from last year, all the advertisers from last year, and they usually start a project that they'll complete in three or four months. This year's project is a 4' X 8' model RR set in Amish PA during the 1930's. How cool is that? There's a steam engine pulling a short train past a barn raising scene, complete with horse drawn buggies parked by the house. You can almost smell the lemonade.

Other than my best civilian friend and his wife telling us that they are moving on to bigger and better things, that's pretty much it for me. I'm happy for them and I know that they're being offered a golden chance that simply doesn't happen every day, but I'm still a little upset. I'm losing a good Christian friend, my wife is losing a good Christian girlfriend, and the Bug is losing his "fiance." Oh, they'll still be in the county, but not as close as they are now and that means that while we'll still get together on occassion, it won't be the same... unless I can get orders to Miramar or the Depot. Hmmm, there's a thought.

Have a great weekend and let me know how's things with you?

5 comments:

EV said...

When I was a kid I was addicted to Model Railroading. I had two paper routes. Everything I earned went into the layout I built in the basement. Everytime you mention it, I have a flood of wonderful memories and all that challenge, enthusiasm and fun. It's a great hobby!

Manda said...

I think you Bengals are going the Playoffs. All they need is one more game!!! WHO DEY!

Anonymous said...

Near our home there is a model railroad club that rents a space in the local mall. Once a week they open it up for free so that visitors can come watch the fun. They have several large (very large) tables set up with extremely detailed railroad sets on them. They are even nice enough to let the kids run some of the controls. We love taking our kids there - they love it!

On the subject of video games, if you ever get bored of the football games I highly recommend the Myst series of games. I like them, my hubby likes them, my kids try to play them and sometimes me and my hubby will sit and play together. They are games that involve solving puzzles and riddles and it's been very interesting to play with my hubby and see how his mind works differently from mine in solving the puzzles. It's also given me a new respect for different ways in which we differ, and how smart he is.

Bill said...

Mike, my dad had/has a layout in his office, but you can't see it anymore under old computer parts and magazines. Combine his interest and my fond memories of the switch yard across from my grandparents' house and I guess you could make the argument that I was born to model... railroads, that is.

EV said...

Bill: I'm glad you clarified "railroads". I don't see you doing - step, bump; step, bump, bump;step, bump; step, bump, bump. Ha! Check
it out here
.