Sunday, September 4

A fond Farewell

To my friend...

I hadn't seen you in a couple of years, but when we met again not long ago it was like you'd never left. Now we must part company again. Why? Well, it's really just a matter of choice. I can choose to spend more time with you, or I can do what I can to please my wife, so there's really not much of a choice. All things being equal, I'd love to be able to have both of you in my life at the same time, but that's just not an option here. Besides, the last time you met my son it kind of freaked him out. Now that I have a daughter who only remembers me from my pictures, I need to do what I can to look like those pictures when I get home. Granted, I won't be in my dress uniform when I get there, but that's a minor detail compared to the way she might react if you were there with me.

Well, friend, I guess it's time for me to say so long. Hopefully it will be a while before we see each other again but in this field you never can tell. You will be missed but I will think of you every morning (except Saturday). Now it's time to get rid of you, Mr. Moustache.

PS. To everyone else out there,(Mike, SteelCowboy, Karyn, and many others) this will be my last entry from my current location. This afternoon I will begin a journey that will take me half-way around the world and may take over a week. Thank you for all of your support and prayers while I've been gone from my family and friends. The next time I sign on I will no longer be "Bill in Iraq." I will be "Bill in California!" Cheers!

10 comments:

Jen said...

:D I LOVE you!!! Oh, the sacrifices you make for me.

DBFrank said...

WooHoo! Glad to hear you're on your way to sunny California.. and to the family.
I am so happy for you Bill.
Heck, I might have to figure out a way to meet you and Mike for that beer!

Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said...

They let you have a moustache in country? Must be a rank thing.

Best wishes and a safe journey.

Bill said...

Actually, anyone can wear facial hair as long as it's within regulations. For Marines, that means the moustache may not extend beyond the corners of your mouth and must be trimmed to a length of no more than a half-inch. Last time I was there (in 2003) we had to shave as a security measure against infiltrators, but that was then.

Katie said...

Hope you have a safe and boring trip home! See ya on the flip side.

Chad said...

Godspeed. Glad to hear you are coming home at last.

Chad said...

Hey, Bill. Are you coming through DFW airport? If so, when?

Jenny said...

Hoping your reunion with your family is joyous - welcome home!

Judy said...

Bill- Godspeed and good wishes to you - I am thrilled for you and Jen! We all expect to see lots of pictures with hugging and kissing (and save the rest for when the camera is put away, okay? Leave SOMETHING to the imagination!). Hugs and kisses to everyone - we're all so happy for you!

Lia said...

I'm so glad you're on your way home. Let me second katie's wishes for a safe and boring trip and everyone's wishes for a warm welcome home!