Monday, August 8

Sheesh!

I went to my wife's blog and found a blogthing that I thought I'd try, but alas, I couldn't seem to get the html code to work. Grrrrrr. So, I guess it's up to me to be my usual witty self to brighten your day (or at least let you know that I'm still alive and doing well).

First things first... Football is back! I got a chance to see some of the Falcons/Colts game in Tokyo. I'm sure Jen is absolutely thrilled to know that I'm ready for some football! "Mama says no foos-ball cuz it's of the Devil." (Waterboy)

I just learned that Peter Jennings has passed away. Of the three national anchormen that I grew up watching, I liked him the most, even if he was Canadian. :-)

I watched in nervous anticipation as the space shuttle lifted off last week. They are due home early Monday morning. Our thoughts and prayers for their safe return.

Speaking of thoughts and prayers... our thoughts here at 1/5 go out to the families of our brothers who lost their lives a while ago and those who continue to put it all on the line every day. I saw an article about a mother who went to the President's ranch in Texas to ask him for what noble cause did her son die and all I can say is, "Ma'am, your son (who joined the military voluntarily) gave the ultimate sacrifice for the cause of freedom. For that, the people of Iraq and America owe him and his family a debt that can only be honored... never repaid in full." All I can say to that is that in the worst case scenario that something like that were to happen to me, I would hope that my family would honor my life and the decisions I've made and continue to support a cause I believe in with all my heart.

As a weak segue on the subject of heart, I'm hopeful that the Padres have enough heart to hang on to their lead in the NL West. If they don't then I'm pretty sure they won't make the playoffs. The entire division would be at the basement if all teams from the NL competed on an even basis for playoff spots. It's actually kinda weird that a .500 ball club can win one division while another team that might win 90 or more games might not even make the post season. Well, at least it's a system that's a far cry better than the college BCS.

A blog buddy of mine, Steelcowboy, just went on a little trip that looks like my dream vacation. With horse drawn covered wagons, beautiful scenery and a train ride to boot, I just couldn't imagine a better getaway. Well, I take that back. I've got my own little getaway planned with Jen for as soon as can be arranged upon my return to the States.

There are lots of other things I could comment on, but I think we'll just leave it here for now. Drop me a note and let me know what you think.

3 comments:

DBFrank said...

Glen Ivy looks like a blast Bill! I'm sure you two are looking forward to it.
Thank you so much for the shout out, and brother.. thank YOU and all who are over there, doing what you do. You have my respect and admiration, all of you - and those who stand and wait, like your Mrs.
Blessings brother.

Duke_of_Earle said...

Bill,
I think the Mom is just out for her own publicity. If not, I wish/hope somebody will pass on to her your words. Well said!

John

Andrea said...

Hi Bill. Glad to hear you're doing as well as can be expected. I can believe you're almost a month away from getting home to the family. I'm so excited for you guys. We're doing pretty good over here, just waiting for school to start. Well, just wanted to say hi and send our love! Stay safe!