Sunday, August 21

Monday... Monday

My wife has wisely suggested that since I'm back at my base camp, I should probably update my blog to alleviate any concerns my friends and family may have concerning my well-being. Good point, Princess. Thank you.

So let's see... What's the latest and greatest? I spent the last several days at a different camp counseling the Marines whose contracts are due to expire sometime in the next year. Ideally, I would be spending the next few days processing their requests for reenlistment. That's not as easy as it sounds. The warriors of this battalion have done their bit for "king and country" and now they're looking forward to getting on with their lives back home. I can't blame them for wanting to take a break but some of these guys are prepared to cut off their nose to spite their face so to speak. Don't get me wrong... Some of these guys have developed a carefully thought out transition plan but I've had a couple of Marines look me in the eye and say in all honesty that they don't know what they're going to do. Those counselings take a little longer as we get into life goals, dreams, and long range plans. Fortunately I've heard a lot of these stories before and I can address their concerns and offer guidance. After all, that's why I'm out here in the first place right? My conversations with these guys have managed to produce a couple of requests for retention as long as they can get orders to a particular duty station. Not a problem. That's what I do. Anyway, that's where I've been for the past few days.

I came back "home" to learn that I really didn't miss that much with my absence. Go figure. All I have to say about that is that if anyone needs to talk to me while I'm on my post-deployment leave in a few weeks they can call my cell phone...

And leave a message.

7 comments:

Duke_of_Earle said...

Bill,

Sounds not all THAT different from what I often do as an H.R. Manager. Counseling about career paths and goals and assignments. Helping folks make informed decisions. Hopefully keeping "turnover" low. But I do my job daily in a nice, safe air conditioned office with no danger of incoming RPGs or suicide bombers. Thanks to you.

Thanks!

John

Chad said...

Hey, Bill . . . you can always tell them that Dallas PD is hiring. Of course, having just come from a war zone, they may want to avoid enlisting for another.

Glad to know that someone over there is taking care of the 'loose ends' of war.

Lia said...

Sounds like my college advisor has it easy. Glad to hear you're okay and coming home soon.

DBFrank said...

Ack! I missed this! How'd I miss this??!
Glad things are going well my friend. Like Mike says, soon, ye shall be home, no?

Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said...

I frequent your blog but I don't think I ever stopped and said, "Thanks."

Thank you for your many sacrifices as a soldier so that I may have a better life here at home. You have my full support. I know I'll never live long enough to personally visit every one responsible for protecting my freedom but the feeling and gratitude are there. Please let your fellow soldiers know that we do appreciate you and that you are in our prayers every night.

I am glad to hear that some one is helping with the transition. I've often worried about soldiers who were clearing rooms in a ville one day and then find themselves in the Atlanta Airport the next. It must seem surreal. One day you are holding an IED you found on a dog, the next you are holding your kids. The juxtaposition is overwhealming.

Cylithria Dubois said...

Hi Bill, so glad to see your still safe and sound. I've been watching your's and Sandy's countdown.... I can't wait to make a big Welcome hom Bill post!!!

I stopped by to also thank you for allowing me to feature your blog on my 100 Compliments of Summer

I've loved reading you and your wifes blogs and I can't thank either of you enough for your sacrifices!!

Stay Safe...OORAH

Bill said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys (and gals). Actually, Chad, a lot of these guys have plans to go home and get into law enforcement.
Greg, welcome to the comments line.
John, it's interesting you mentioned HR because that's one of the fields I'm considering pursuing when I finally get to retire from this gun club and get a "real" job. :)