Monday, April 7

Another... sand storm?!

Holy Smokes! Well, I'd call it smoke, but it's dust. And tons of it, too. I was walking back to the office from dinner and I was walking into a wall of dirt. It came from somewhere and steadily covered the horizon. My mind instantly came to two conclusions:

1) Oh, crap, there's going to be dust all over EVERYTHING!
2) You know, if that were rain it would look a lot like that rain storm I got caught in when I was in Okinawa in 1993.

Then a third conclusion worked its way forward: You'd better move it or you're going to end up breathing this stuff.

So I ran. I made it to the building just about a minute before the storm did. It was Cruise-azy I tell you. As I type this some 4 hours later, it's still howling outside. Of course now it's really dark and wouldn't you know it... I left my flashlight back in my can. Ugh!

On a positive note, I got to play some softball this past weekend. Unfortunately, since I left my glove at home (honestly, who thinks to pack softball gear when deploying to a combat zone?) I had to use a brand new one given to me by MWR. Well, when you're playing firstbase you need to have a glove that's nicely broken in so the ball doesn't pop right out and cause you to lose at least two outs. Trust me on that one. Still, it was fun to play and we actually have a league here on base and we play every weekend (weather permitting).

So this week's off to an interesting start. How's yours?

No comments: