Thursday, August 25

Quickie...

So, this will be a quick update on a variety of topics. Fortunately, if you are not the type to read fast, you can take as much time as you need to get through this information or even come back later and read it again.

School is off and running for the fall semester. I'm taking the History and Literature of Ancient Israel for my first class. Well, I guess someone in marketing figured people would shun the class if they labeled it for what it is: A survey of the Old Testament. Whatever. It completes my history requirement and I thought it would be an interesting class... So far, so good.

Along with the beginning of the school year comes the beginning of the Scout year. This year I'm the registered trainer for our pack. I told them it was a mistake because I'm new to this so I'm assuming none of the leaders have done any training until they give me some sort of evidence. I'm making a database to track that and I've registered to follow the training feeds from our local council office.

Work is work. I'm making sure nobody falls off contract that doesn't want to, which is basically what I've been doing for the last 12 years. At least it's a job, right? Speaking of which...

My request to transfer to the FMCR (retire) has been submitted. I've scheduled my separations physical and I'm re-taking my transition classes next month. Once those classes are complete I'll start my VA disability claim and really start looking for a new job. (I've got a sleep apnea study scheduled for this weekend.) As long as I can continue going to school, using my GI Bill benefits, plus my retirement pay, plus some unemployment from the great state of OH, then we should be okay... at least in the short term for keeping house warm and lit and at least some food in the 'fridge. Actually, I'm sure we'll be fine. We're going to pare our cable WAY back and start using Netflix for our movies and rerun TV shows. If I don't have to drive 70 miles every day to commute then the car will last longer and so will each tank of gas. It'll work because...

Our church is in the middle of negotiations to purchase a foreclosed car dealership location. It comes with lots of parking, a great looking building, and about 5 times more square footage than what we cram ourselves into every weekend now. I already suggested that if I don't have a day job when my terminal leave starts in January and the church is in need of workers, I might spend my days helping paint, hammer, drill, wire, or whatever and continue school in the evenings.

So that's the low down on the "what's happenin" around here. Hope your weekend turns out well. If the weather's not too hot I may have to fire up some coals and make burgers or something... or even get some steaks. Now we're talkin'!

No comments: