Monday, August 15

Calm before the storm

I figure I should try to add an entry to my blog before the hectic-ness (is that a word) of the fall season gathers steam and rolls me over.

The kids started school last week. They have their first homework assignments this week. The Boy is already frustrated and he's only tried one day of 4th grade homework. This might be a very long year. His sister is doing fine with her assignments, but she's always been like that. Since we're on the topic of school, I have registered for the fall semester as well, but I don't start for a couple more weeks. For the first time in my college career I will be a full time student this semester. I've come close a couple of times, but stopped at 9 credits. This time I'm in for the full 12 units. It should be very interesting.

So, the academics are covered. Let's move onto sports. The kids are in soccer for the fall sports season. Even though they are in different age groups (and therefore, different teams) their practices are back to back, which is very convenient. Their games might be a different story, but we'll jump off that bridge when we get there. The kids are also in Scouts again this year. And someone who looks a LOT like me is one of the pack leaders and the Boy's den leader this year. There is a somewhat ulterior motive here. I'm hoping that the volunteer work will enhance my resume as I look for a new job.

Why am I looking for a new job? Well, after 20 years of faithful service, I'm transitioning out of the Marine Corps in February. Yes, it's a bit of a worry, but I think we'll be okay... I hope. By the time we add up my retirement check, the GI Bill payments that I'll be receiving, and this new job that I'm looking for, we should be fine... or at least solvent. I should be finishing my degree by Spring of 2013, but if I pick up the pace and go year-round maybe I can speed that up a bit. =)

So, anyway, that's how we start this year. Hope you all are doing well. I'll try to remember to get back into the groove of things sooner rather than later.

No comments: