Friday, May 19

A little help here?

Someone please remind me why I do this... Here's what I did yesterday.

3:00 - Up and at 'em
3:45 - On the road to work
4:30 - Arrive at work and unload my pack
4:45 - Check out my rifle from the armory
5:30 - Mandatory chowhall breakfast
7:00 - Battalion begins a conditioning hike through the back woods of the base
15:00 - We FINALLY get back to the start point, after 18.1 miles of trekking around the base. Somehow the first 8 miles were all uphill. That was NOT fun.
16:00 - Supposed to have a reenlistment ceremony, but I learned that there's a class scheduled for all Staff NCO's and officers. I talked to the officer doing the reenlistment with me and he suggests that we reenlist the sgt and just be a few minutes late to the class. Works for me.
17:00 - Reenlistment ceremony takes place. The officer involved had cramped up at the end of the hike and required an IV to replenish fluids. Completely miss the class.
17:25 - Leave for home. Decide to take the less fuel efficient route to make up some time.
6 PM - Walk (more like creep) into the house. Jen had prepped dinner of spaghetti and salad. It was very good.
7 PM - Leave for church for a meeting of the creative arts team.
9 PM - Finish at church and head home.
9:30 - I finally get the boy into bed. Jennie's got the girl downstairs.
9:45 - I'm going to take a bath.
10:15 - Wake up in the tub and decide to go to bed.
10:30 - Lights out.

And to answer any questions out there about how I'm feeling, well, let's just say that my shoulders are killing me, I have a quarter-size blister on the ball of my right foot and the ligaments in my hips feel like they've been stretched too much.

At least the Reds won yesterday.

So, why do I do this? Because, man, It's a living... sorta.

5 comments:

Jumpin' On My Last Nerve said...

I have to laugh, because at the end of every day - no matter how good or bad - Chris always sums the day up with how the Reds did. Hope you and Jen get some much needed rest. And we are still trying to find a way to see you guys while you are in Ohio.

Laura said...

For the money?

DBFrank said...

And we thank you for what you do, Sir.

Bill said...

The way I see it... if the Reds and/or the Padres do well, then it's all good.

Mike's America said...

It's been years since I saw the Reds play. My best friend is a die hard fan and used to watch every game obsessively. He was afraid if he didn't watch that they would lose. Not sure how he explained it when he watched and they did lose.

I don't know how you do that grueling, difficult work that you do. But I am very glad that you do.

And I will continue my lifelong mission to make sure that you guys have our full respect and support every step of the way.