Monday, November 23

It's Monday... and I'm on 'cation!

Monday's here again, but this time it's not so bad. I'm on vacation this week and we're in San Diego to visit Jen's mom for Thanksgiving. Jen typed up a good post about our recent troubles with her vehicle so I won't repeat them here. However, I am gaining more confidence and after hearing Pastor Hal yesterday talk about hope deferred and what to do when your dreams are unattainable, I'm seriously re-considering my post Marine Corps hobby ideas. See, I've said before that I would love to build my own model railroad world, but that's kind of a selfish hobby in my family. While I'm pretty sure that the kids would get a kick out of watching the trains, I'm equally as sure that Jen and I would come to regret the money and time that building a MRR would take. However, if I get an older muscle car that maybe needs some work and tinker on it when time and money are available, I'd have something that we could share and enjoy together. I'm not saying that the transformation would be a quick as Bumblebee in "Transformers" but it would get there and I think there would definitely be a pride factor involved in doing most of the work myself. I just need to find a car that runs reliably to start but needs some love to bring out the potential. Any offers?

Our trip down here was a lot less eventful than our trek to Denver earlier this summer. For one, Jen was able to drive for a stretch on Saturday so I could catch a nap and rest my eyes. That was a great help. Also, we didn't get into any accidents as we got into town on Saturday evening so that was nice as well.

We went to church yesterday and were able to see the newest trailer for the movie that they shot last year while I was deployed. It's gonna be amazing and I can't wait to see it. "To Save a Life" is set to open Jan 22 and if you thought "Fireproof" was a good movie then you definitely need to make plans to see this one. Of course, before and after the service we tried to spend a few minutes with as many people as possible to get caught up a little. Apparently 'our' small group is planning to meet this Wednesday just because we're in town... Thanksgiving Eve is usually an evening off from church activities so people can prepare for the feasting and festivities (and football) that the following day promise to provide, so we'll get to chat with almost everyone then. On Thursday we'll head up to Moreno Valley to have dinner with friends and family. It's become a tradition for us. I'm pretty sure my wife will have more to say on the subject so I'll just leave it at that.

We brought my son's popcorn stuff with us. I had hoped to get it mailed out to our long distance contacts (everyone except Jen's mom and ourselves) but we simply ran out of time, so that's what the plan is for this morning. I'll take him to the post office and get that stuff shipped out. With any luck it'll get 'there' by Thursday, but I'm not counting on it. Still, Friday or Monday should be pretty good and will be well timed to help set the holiday spirit for the Christmas season. =)

I guess that brings us up to speed about what's going on in this part of the universe. How do things look from where you are? Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: