Sunday, August 16

Anything new? Not really...

This past week was pretty much the same ole same ole. We're all very tired of living in a hotel room and even though we have light at the end of the tunnel, we're still in the tunnel for now. Ugh!

I posted a quote request to the Denver BBB website for a plumber to tell me how much it would cost to run a gas line up to the 2nd floor laundry area in our new home. I've got a few who said they'd come out and give me a free estimate so I scheduled them for the first day in our house... While we're trimming and priming the bedrooms and there won't be any furniture to deal with. We've been pricing electric dryers as well since the set we have has about 10 years of use on it. Thinking longer range, if we decide to move back to CA and keep this house as a rental property, then maybe we can include the washer and dryer with the property. That's still years down the road but it never hurts to think about stuff like that, right?

We did make some progress this week. We met Tim Duvall and signed our loan application paperwork. Actually, I did most of the signing. Since Jen's not working up here (yet) he advised us that she doesn't need to be on the application. Plus, we have some debt that's only in her name (student loans) so that helped our debt to income ratio. When all was said and done, it looks like our payments, to cover mortgage, HOA dues, insurance, and taxes will be lower than we were expecting. Of course that's great news. To be honest, I think/fear that the biggest challenge will be to maintain the curb appeal of the house. The lawn is a nice thick green carpet and the landscaping is just about perfect.

The Boy starts school on Tuesday. I think that will help everyone's sanity. It will get him into a schedule and break up the daily hum-drum of living in a hotel room. The Girl starts Kindergarten the following week. Then, the week after that is closing and possession! Jen made a paper chain for the hotel room. Each night the kids take turns removing one link from the chain so that the last link will be taken down the day we take possession of our house. We'll probably actually sleep here for that night (since I will have paid for the room for that night) and then go to the house early in the morning the next day. We'll pack up the car with everything we've loaded the hotel room with over the last couple of weeks (clothes somehow seem to expand when they're not locked into a suitcase) so that all that's left to move will be the cats and kids. Of course, now that we've been here for a couple of weeks, we just learned that we have access to the pool at a sister property just up the street. Why didn't they mention that when we checked in?! Still, better late than never, right?

I'm slowly gettin merged into the folks at work. I've been assigned to go with the color guard to a "PR gig" on Wednesday. I don't know what the job is. I was thinking it might be a ball game, but the Rockies are in Washington, so I kind of doubt it. =) Other than that, there's not much to report about work. I'm still trying to get into a routine myself, but with all of the time I have to take for house related stuff it's been tough to get settled. I am very grateful that the command has been very flexible in allowing me the time I need. I'm even going to be able to take a week + off when we actually take possession to get settled; have our household goods delivered; paint; get cable, phone, and internet started; and spend time with the family.

Speaking of spending time with the family... We're going to try another church in the area this morning. The church we tried last week seemed very home-folk oriented which seemed fine for them, but we're not home-folk and only one person said hi to us... after the service. Hopefully today will be a better experience.

Have a great week and keep looking up!

No comments: