Monday, December 25

Merry Christmas

Twas the Day before Christmas (back in the States)
But here in Japan, Christmas would not wait

The day started dreary and rainy to boot,
But there were presents to open and cookies to loot.

He unwrapped his gifts and got a good laugh
When he unwrapped the odd movie, “Mars Attacks”
There was also a book, about his home base
Which he read with a smile on his face.

Then it was time for chow, the mess hall was open
He was looking for good eats and plus he was hopin’
There’d be a game on TV that he could watch for a bit
And as he sat down, just his luck would have it
That the Chargers were playing, but down by four
With 2 minutes to go and needing a score
A field goal won’t do, since that’s only three
And no timeouts left, you can’t just hand off to LT.
Still, with a play that made the place roar
Jackson caught a long pass and the Chargers did score.
They won the game by the hair of their chin
I hope they don’t get that dramatic again.

On the other side, the Broncos hosted Cincy
With a win, the Bengals were still in control of their fate
And when they scored a touchdown with no time to waste
It seemed assured that the game would go on
As soon as the extra point was tacked on.
But wait, what’s this? The snap was a flop
And to 8 and 7 the Bengals did drop
Now they need help to make the post season
But the help they need is almost beyond reason
Am I calling it quits on the orange and black?
No, but it’ll be hard for them to come back.

Now I have the rest of this day
It’s raining and chilly, but still I will say
Merry Christmas to all of my web friends out there
And may your Christmas be filled with good cheer
I’ll call my wife and kids in a few
And wish them a Merry Christmas too.
There are only a couple of weeks left on this deployment
And then I can go home and begin the enjoyment
Of having Christmas all over again,
Playing with my kids and seeing my dear Jen.
Until that day
Not too far away
I must be content with email and the phone
To pretend that I’m actually home

Still, this is what I do and for what I get paid
As a warrior, I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Still, as a family man, I’d much rather be
Chasing the cats out of the Christmas tree
That’s the downside to this career path I’m on
And the down side to this little holiday song.

For that I am sorry and I’ll end this with cheer.
Merry Christmas to All and a Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Fred said...

Merry Christmas, and Happy 2007, Bill!

Raggedy said...

Happy New Year!!!
Hey your blog looks like mine! ^5
I have missed you..
I am glad all is well...
xtra hugssssss

Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one

EV said...

Happy New Year, Bill!! Many blessing are headed your way.

Anonymous said...

Awww Bill this is beautiful! I hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy new year, as did Sandi and kids. Thank you all for being seperated during holidays and keep all of us safe. It's national Delurking week this week and you know I had to come say Hi! You take care of yourself

Semper Fi