Monday, October 16

Where does the time go?

This post was constructed on 10/17. I was not aware that it had not posted correctly...

Today is my son's birthday. It seems impossible to believe that it's been 5 years since my wife and I were in a hospital and going through the birth experience. My parents and her mother were in the waiting room all night. They had arrived at the hospital earlier in the afternoon of the 16th and stayed,

and waited...

and waited...

and waited.

Finally, at 3:19 the next morning, our son was born. I was thrilled. When the nurse asked if I wanted to cut his umbilical, I almost tripped over myself trying to get to the incubator where he waited. I called his name and said, "Daddy's here, Trey" and he turned toward me. I caught the whole thing on video, too. Jen was attended to for the next hour + to repair the damage caused by his passage into this world. He was a big boy, weighing over 9 pounds at birth. He's still a big boy, but more in regards to his height. I swear, if you didn't know he was only 5 years old, you'd probably think he's at least 7. He plays soccer (sorta) and loves to run.

And I'm here.

Trey, I hope you understand, or learn to understand, why I couldn't be there for your special day today. I love you and I will be home as soon as I can.



In an ironic coincidence, today is also the birthday of this ship that I've called "home" for the last couple of weeks. The USS Essex celebrated her 14th anniversary this morning, complete with cake. I have a couple of pictures that I'll try to get uploaded soon.

2 comments:

Manda said...

Just wanted to say hi. I can't believe how big Trey is. It is hard to believe that he was only 2 when we left to go to Cincy. You are right...WOW how time flies!

Jen said...

I hope you at least get to have some yummy food. I think it's VEEERRRY interesting that you've missed all of our birthdays (someone's more than others, ahem) and yet you've always been home for yours. What's up with that??