Wednesday, May 25

X-squeeze me?

Let me give you some background info. I work in the admin office out here in Iraq, which means that I am able to check email, read news stories, and update my blog on a fairly regular basis. I have set up my account to provide me with daily updates concerning the key word Ramadi. I also get their headlines, and that's what I'm talking about today. I was reading this story about the ALLEGED abuse of the Quran by guards in Cuba and I was struck by the last few lines. Let me save you the trouble by pasting those lines here:

"The United States government continues to turn a blind eye to mounting evidence of widespread abuse of detainees held in its custody," said ACLU Executive Director Anthony D. Romero. "If we are to truly repair America's standing in the world, the Bush administrtation must hold accountable high-ranking officials who allow the conitnuing abuse and torture of detainees."

Excuse me? Since when does America have to prove anything by catering to whiny little cowards like these terrorists? Here, I'll let another section of the same story make my argument for me:

FBI records cite at least one instance in which a detainee is said to have falsely claimed that a guard had dropped a Quran. "In actuality the detainee dropped the Quran and then blamed the guard. Many other detainees reacted to this claim," the FBI document said, and that sparked an uprising "on or about 19-20 July 2002."

See my point? These cowards are willing to do anything and everything to get their willing accomplices in the press to help them forward their cause. They desecrate their own holy book and blame us. They stockpile weapons in mosques and use those mosques as staging areas for launching attacks against US and mult-national forces. According to the Geneva convention, using a holy site for anything other than worship or humanitarian reasons (a field hospital, for example) is a huge NO-NO! "Places of worship may not be used in support of the military effort" If a mosque (or church or cathedral) is used in violation of this principle, it loses it's protection. Does that stop these thugs? Hardly. But, hold a Quran and sneeze at the same time and all of a sudden you've violated their human rights.

While doing a bit of surfing for this entry, I came up with something that might interest the media. This is an excerpt from Wikipedia.com, an online encylopedia, concerning the law of war.

"Spies and terrorists are only protected by the laws of war if the power which holds them is in a state of armed conflict or war and until they are found to be an unlawful combatant. Depending on the circumstances, they may be subject to civilian law or military tribunal for their acts and in practice have been subjected to torture and/or execution. The laws of war neither approve nor condemn such acts, which fall outside their scope."

I'm going to give myself an ulcer if I keep this up much longer, so I will finish with this thought: we are down to 129 days before it's October 1st!

1 comment:

Robin said...

I for one have given up hope that the media tells the truth. I just don't believe anything I hear from them anymore.